- American Red Cross
- There is a severe blood shortage and donors are urgently needed! CLICK HERE to find details about how to give blood in your area. Please see the follow article that shows how important it is to donate blood!
- As blood drives are canceled due to coronavirus concerns, the American Red Cross strongly urges healthy individuals to give blood or platlets to help patients in need. Over the last few days, we have seen blood drive cancellations grow at an alarming rate. Through March 13, about 1,500 Red Cross blood drives have been canceled across the country due to coronavirus concerns, resulting in some 46,000 fewer blood donations. We expect that number to rise.
- Blood drives are being canceled at workplaces, college campuses and schools as more people are being told to work remotely and practice social distancing We understand why people may be hesitant to come out for a blood drive, but want to reassure the public that we are taking additional precautions to ensure the safety of our donors and staff:
- We are checking the temperature of staff and donors before entering a drive to make sure they are healthy.
- We have hand sanitizer for use before entering the drive, as well as throughout the donation process.
- We are spacing beds, where possible, to follow social distancing practices between blood donors.
- Red Cross employees follow strict safety procedures, including
- Wearing gloves and changing them often
- Wiping down all donor-touched surfaces and equipment
- Preparing the arm for donation with an aseptic scrub.
These measures will help to keep blood recipients, staff and donors safe. There is no evidence and there are no reported cases of the coronavirus – or any respiratory virus - being transmitted by a blood transfusion.
Dad Whose Infant Son Was Saved by Blood Transfusions Encourages Donations to Continue amid Outbreak. The American Red Cross is facing a severe blood shortage as drives across the country are canceled amid the coronavirus outbreak. Read in People: https://apple.news/Adj6ozc0SS4ypURizr5ohcA